Monday, July 14, 2014

My new 4 x 6 foot cutting table / ironing table we built for about $200 here is a step-by-step description of how we did it.

This blog post is about my new cutting table. I'm going to be giving information about how we made it so that you can make a similar table for your quilting/sewing room.
Pete and I took a trip over to Lowe's hardware here in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma where we live. We picked up a few items. One of them being three-quarter inch oak plywood to make a nice strong surface. We were going to have them cut 2 feet off of the end of it at Lowe's but their saw was broken. Pete said he could do the cutting. So we brought it home in the truck. Measured off 2 feet off the back, scooted it part of the way out of the truck and he cut it down to 6 feet. 
 Then it was time to sand the edges and round the corners with the Sander.
 I used a belt sander first and then moved on to using a finishing sander.
 The top and bottom of the plywood did not need any sanding because it was already smooth.
 Then it was time to move the 6' x 4' piece of plywood inside. This is not your normal sheet of plywood as oak is very heavy. 
 I also got two closet organizers for around $40 apiece at Lowe's to make the legs of my table. Here is a link to this product. 
 I used super sliders to move the plywood through the house and then put sliders on the wall so that I could protect the walls paint job. Here is a link to the  plywood we used at Lowe's, 
 Now it's time to start assembling the closet organizers.
 I suggest using a power drill and not just a screwdriver for this.
Yippie, I've got one done!
Finishing up the second one.
 Now it's time to line the two legs up.
 My good friend Tricia Wilkinson dropped a quilt off for me to do the long arm quilting on at just the right time. I asked her to come help me lift the heavy plywood sheet on top of the legs.
 Tricia has a quilting business called Jersey-Magic where she makes T-shirt quilts for people. I do the long arm quilting for her. "LIKE" her business page on Facebook at this link,  https://www.facebook.com/jerseymagicquilts
 If you are in need of having a memory quilt made from your T-shirts, Tricia will be able to help you out. She also sells many other sewing and quilted items in her Etsy store here at this link, https://www.etsy.com/shop/JerseyMagic 
 After remeasuring the table top we are ready to start bolting it down.
 We use some L-shaped brackets and screws to mount the legs on to the plywood.
 It took about 32 screws to get the job done.
 I did a lot of looking up during this time and I was so glad that Tricia was there to hold the brackets while I put the screws in.
 This is what the brackets look like from underneath.
 Now it's time to start making the cover for the table. For my first layer I put down warm and natural 100% cotton batting.
 Then my second layer I put Hobbs 100% cotton batting.
 Then it was time for the purple canvas cover. I got the canvas at JoAnn fabrics, Here is a link to the canvas, http://www.joann.com/jo-ann-stores-duck-canvas-fabric/prd23683.html#q=canvas&start=7 It comes in many different colors. I got it for over 50% off during their Fourth of July sale so I paid about $4.99 a yard for it and used about 2 1/2 yards.
 Now it is time to do some stapling. We had a normal staple gun but decided to buy this electric powered one for $30 at Lowes, it's a lot easier to use. I had to read the instructions to figure out how.
 Then as Trica held the fabric I began stapling. 
 After stapling we cut off the excess batting.
 Tricia was a great help to me for this project. I'm so glad she dropped that quilt off. :-)
 I decided to add electricity to my table for my iron. 
 After mounting a power strip we put in some cord holders.
 Here is the finished table.
 It's height is about 37 inches high. Just perfect for me.
 I'm able to sit at it with my stool which is very nice.
 I can use the whole surface as an ironing board.
 It has a great cubbyhole to store the iron in when I want to have the whole surface for rolling out batting or planning a large project.
 Here's a photo of the other side of the table.
 It has lots of room underneath to store sewing machines and other quilt related items.
 It is great having such a big surface to use my cordless iron on.
And a wonderful place to do some cutting.
Now you can use some of my ideas or come up with your own to make a perfect cutting table just for you. It doesn't have to be exactly like mine it can be 8' x 4' or whatever will fit in your room. There are different heights of cabinets or dressers you can use.  And of course different colors of canvas to make your table the right, "fit" for you.   I'm off to put my new table to use!  Fabric here I come! 

If you are in need of any long arm quilting service I would love to be able to help you out. You can learn more about my quilting service including pricing and shipping information right here on this blog at this link, http://annsquiltnstuff.blogspot.com/p/custom-freehand-machine-quilting.html

8 comments:

  1. Very nice table! I've never heard of a cordless iron. That is a wonderful invention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your sew creative and talented to come up with making this awesome sewing center! great work, very impressive! I'm sure you will be enjoying many days in your sewing room!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used a kitchen island that I found at a garage sale to make mine - not as big, but has wheels on it and little slide outs on each end so iron stays on that while I am working. I just move it around depending on what I am doing at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great creation, Ann! I've made smaller boards but my first layer on top of the board was always aluminum foil to act a a barrier to steam. Did you think of that or decide not to use steam?
    Very impressive work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have one ove those oreck irons. Have been looking for a second. Nice Table. I just may need to assemble one for my space. Thanks for sharing! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! Especially the cubes holding the table up - great for storage. But how has the table held up over the last year or so? I have a somewhat similar set-up and my table bows in the middle after about a year and I have to replace it, even though I use a heavy, thick board. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great minds must think alike at long distances. This is what I did for my sewing room. I bought a super large cutting mat years ago for the craft tables you can get at JoAnn's. I like for trimming customer quilts. This works really well and you sure can stuff a lot of things underneath.

    ReplyDelete