Sunday, January 20, 2013

A few cream-colored Singers of the late 1950s and early 1960s that I have for sale.

A few cream-colored Singers of the late 1950s and early 1960s that I have for sale. 

By Pete Olson, also known as "The Sewing Machine Man" or "The Quilters Husband".

 Each of these machines I have reconditioned and they run like brand-new.
 Singer made similar best sewing machines during this time.
These are some wonderful machines that come in a great retro color.
This is the Singer 401 Slant-O-Matic sewing machine. It is in excellent condition and makes a wonderful stitch. Many people consider this the greatest Singer ever made. It has a gear driven all metal drive and there is absolutely no plastic inside of it. I'm selling it locally in the Tulsa area for $160. Sold, 
 This is the Singer 40K. It was made in Great Britain during the 60s, it looks like a little sister to the Singer 404 which is the next picture down after this one. This was a toy chain stitch machine and I am selling it for $84 at my Etsy Store.
This is the big sister to the Singer 40K, it is the Singer 404 Slant-O-Matic sewing machine. it is the straight stitch only version of the Singer 401. It has the same gear drive motor as well. I am selling it for $130 at my Etsy Store.
  This is the Singer 233 sewing machine, it was one of the few Singers that was made in Japan, it is very heavy cast-iron and comes with a carrying case. I'm selling it locally in the Tulsa area $105.

3 comments:

  1. Some of those look like what we used in our HomeEc class...oh my! LOL! Takes me back a few years :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a stay-at-home mom and quilter. I'm looking into buying my 1st machine quilting frame.My dad has accumulated/rescued/collected quite a few sewing machines in the past 3-4 years and I was wondering which old machine you've found that has the largest harp/throat space?

    Thank you for your time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as frames you do not want to get the flimsy kind like Grace, hinterberg makes good frames for short arm sewing machines , probably the best older Singer out there for quilting would be a Singer 201 which has an 8 inch harp, the 201 is one of the best machines ever made by Singer. My husband Pete reconditions machines and he has three 201's for sale at this time in the Tulsa area. you want to make sure that you can drop the feed dogs on any machine you were thinking of using in order to do free motion quilting. Or least be able to cover the feed dogs with a plate. The 201 feed dogs do drop.

      Delete